Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 15 September 2015

Author Spotlight - Philip Brocklehurst aka P.M. Thomas

AUTHOR SPOTLIGHT
on
Philip Brocklehurst



Please tell us a bit about yourself.

Sure thing, I'll start with the basics. My name is Philip Brocklehurst, or as I call myself when writing my books: P.M. Thomas. I live in Birmingham, United Kingdom with my two dogs, Beauty and Tizzy, and my cat Toby. I love them to bits, the household just wouldn’t be the same without them. Life isn’t complete without the unconditional love of our four legged friends.



I have an hyperactive imagination that flows with so many concepts, some that could be fleshed out into a story, some which are a decent idea but I wouldn’t be able to work it into a novel. I take the idea which shows promise, plot it all out and when I have the structure completed, I go from there, going with the basic plotline and expanding it out along the way, adding more depth as I go, exploring the story along with the characters. And when it’s done, I go onto the next. I have so many ideas, too many to pick from next, but the ones that I choose, I love sharing them all with the reading world, hoping to entertain, move and satisfy the reader.

I have always had a true love and a true passion for the art of storytelling even at a young age.  I love the creativity that goes into creating a story that captivates an audience and reader and filling them with powerful emotions. I relish expressing myself with my work. It always makes me feel so alive.




Tell us about your latest book/series.  If yours is a series please tell us the order they should be read in.

My latest novels are "The Woman and The Boy", it was a true delight writing this one, it was based on a wonderful and moving story by cult actress Margie Newton, who movie buffs may know as Margit Evelyn Newton who starred in the cult 1980 Italian zombie movie "Hell of the Living Dead" or "Zombie Creeping flesh" as it was called here in the UK.

On the surface it is an erotic story about a mature erotic author who meets a handsome young man at a book signing, and takes him home to engage in a passionate night session. However, as they start getting to know each other, they discover that there is more to this than a one night stand. They are kindred spirits, two souls that have missed so much in the world due to one being a writer and the other a student, and are in need of some kind of deeper fulfilment in life, and as they develop a wild and beautiful love affair, they finally find happiness with each other by fulfilling their deepest desires, sharing their inner most sexual fetishes and satisfying their newfound lovers thus giving them a purpose and making their lives complete. But there's much more to it than just sex scenes, it is a deep character study. The sex is a form of therapy, a part of their nature, it defines them and brings them together. But like all good things, it must come to an end and when it does, it sees them both making drastic changes in their own lives and for the lives of their other half.

The other novel is "Zombie Forest", a homage to 70s and 80s European zombie movies which were all the rage back in the day and Euro horror from that era are my favourite kind of horror movies, they could be really good or so bad they're good. The movie in particular that inspired me was the 1981 French/Spanish zombie movie "Le lac des morts vivants" better known as "Zombie Lake" directed by cult French vampire horror director Jean Rollin, (credited in Zombie Lake as J.A. Lazer) it was a strangely beautiful and fascinating movie, it isn't a masterpiece, even Jean disowned it himself, but looking past the flaws, it was the kind of zombie movie you didn't see before and haven't seen since, as a love letter to such a film, I wanted to pay tribute to a unique film and a unique filmmaker who really was one of a kind.

While it is a homage, I also add my own spin on the zombie genre by making the undead creatures different than what we've seen before. And while it is a horror story, it also is a romance about how even in death, true love never really dies and nothing can take it away from two souls when they feel such powerful emotions for one another.


Tell us about your Work in Progress

My latest project is a short novel, it's a sort of homage to the 70s British sex comedies like The Confessions of a Window Cleaner series and the 1979 British sci-fi sex comedy "Spaced Out". It is about a heartbroken young man who decides to leave earth and fly off to a space station beyond the stars that offers its inhabitants their wildest dreams come true. While the vast majority use it to their advantage to partake in raunchy and lewd sex acts, the main protagonist Timothy sees the station as a means to experience what he was deprived of on earth: the love of a woman.



What inspires your writing?

A variety of things: reading a book, seeing a film, hearing some music, experiencing something in my life, everything in the world can be a great way to cause inspiration.



What do you do when you are not writing?

When I'm not writing a book, I'm writing a screenplay that could become a future book, I'm directing a few short films for my YouTube channel, or I'm planning out my next book idea to start after my break. I love doing something creative and productive. I find it hard just sitting back and not doing something, lol.



How hard was it to get your first book published?

It was quite a challenge, as it is with many first books, you're never sure if it's going to find a publisher or get released. It took much perseverance and determination, and in the end I found an indie publishing house called Ecanus Publishing who liked the manuscript for my sci-fi romance novel "Humanity Lost" and released it on Kindle. All the searching and waiting for the day my work got released was worthwhile. It was an indescribable and glorious moment in my life.


Did you find it hard to think of names for your characters or did they just pop into your head?

Sometimes a name will pop into my head and sometimes I personally think of an ideal name for a character, a little reference or homage to a certain actor or a character in a movie that inspired my book in one way or another.


Do you prefer stand-alone or series?

I prefer stand-alone books, I like telling a complete and satisfying story in one book that makes it its own unique thing than spreading a storyline over a saga of books. I would only do a sequel to a book if I felt there was some way of continuing the story.


Do you read the genre you write about or do you prefer something different?

I sure do, I often read a genre I write to help give me inspiration with my own. 

Now tell us about your absolute favorite book that you have read, and why it is special to you.

“The Howling” "Return of The Howling" and "The Howling III: Echoes" by Gary Brandner. Those three great and highly underrated werewolf books really started my interest in wanting to write my own novels and got the ball rolling when I was 16 writing my first book, it gave me the motivation that one day my books would be released on the shelves like they are.

How to you get your books to the attention of the public?

Anyway, I can. I usually use Social Medias like Facebook and Twitter, but any means helps. When you are an unknown author, you jump at any form of publicity that can give you attention. I am finding myself using more and more Blogs to help promote myself and my work. The Internet is a miracle for authors, especially self-published ones. I couldn't imagine us getting ourselves known without it.

Do you have a street team, or the likes?  If so would you like to share the link so our readers may consider joining?

I certainly do. I have many and all are welcome. It is always a pleasure to meet new and familiar faces. It is a joy seeing there are people interested in my work and would like to give my books a read, and if they want to talk about what they've read to me, I'm available and happy to discuss my stories in further detail. To know readers enjoy my books makes it all worthwhile as an author.

THE END.

Well thank you so much for agreeing to do this Author Spotlight, it has been a pleasure having you.  

Lilian

STALKER LINKS & PURCHASE LINKS













Emanuelle and The Hound of Love - Buy Link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Emanuelle-P-M-Thomas-ebook/dp/B00XZA350Y/




No comments:

Post a Comment